What is this?
A Project Brief is used to provide a full and firm foundation for the initiation of the project.
- WHO is required to run the project – Role Descriptions /Management Team design
- WHY the project is requred – (outline) Buiness Case
- WHAT has to be delivered – Project Product Description
- HOW the project will be delivered – the project approach
Why it’s useful?
This template is free if you have purchased our official PRINCE2 course as defined by the PRINCE2 Project Management methodology.
Whilst you can find this template in Appendix A of the official PRINCE2 manual, of course you may not have purchased a manual, or you may just prefer to have an electronic version of it.
How to use it?
This is a ‘vanilla’ template that accompanies the PRINCE2 methodology and is used as the basis for PRINCE2 exams.
Whilst you can use it in its vanilla format we recommend that you think about tailoring it (as suggested by the method itself) bearing in mind the following:
- Industry / organizational specific terminology
- Size / complexity of project
- If the project is part of a programme
- Any existing templates in your organization
The Project Brief is created by the Projec Manager in the Starting up a Project process.
In the Initiating a Project process, the contents of the Project Brief are extended and refined in the Project Initiation Documentation, after which the Project Brief is no longer maintained.