What is this?
The Configuration Management Strategy is an important part of the PID that defines how project communications will be handled. It covers communication to all stakeholders, whether they are part of the project team or not, or even external to the customer or supplier organizations.
It is used to identify how, and by whom, the project’s products will be controlled and protected, and answers the questions:
- How and where the project’s products will be stored
- What storage and retrieval security will be put in place
- How the products and the various versions and variants of these will be identified
- How changes to products will be controlled
- Where responsibility for configuration management will lie.
Why it’s useful?
This template is free if you have purchased our official PRINCE2 course as defined by the PRINCE2 Project Management methodology.
Whilst you can find this template in Appendix A of the official PRINCE2 manual, of course you may not have purchased a manual, or you may just prefer to have an electronic version of it.
How to use it?
This is a ‘vanilla’ template that accompanies the PRINCE2 methodology and is used as the basis for PRINCE2 exams.
Whilst you can use it in its vanilla format we recommend that you think about tailoring it (as suggested by the method itself) bearing in mind the following:
- Industry / organizational specific terminology
- Size / complexity of project
- If the project is part of a programme
- Any existing templates in your organization
The PID (and its compontent products) is created by the Project Manager during the Initiating a Project process. It may be updated during the Managing a Stage Boundary process.